DWARKA – A SUB CITY FOR THE 21st CENTURY
MEETING THE NEEDS OF THE NEXT GENERATION
- Dwarka, today is in the stage of completion to house ONE MILLION people with every essential infrastructural facilities.
- Dwarka offers the right mix, aesthetic & recreational facilities etc.
- Dwarka is fast becoming the address of tomorrow. An address to be proud of.
- The up-coming sub-city is located towards South-West Delhi in the vicinity of International and Domestic airports.
- It is bounded by Najafgarh road, Pankha road, Rewari railway line, and Najafgarh drain.
- Janakpuri residential scheme and Delhi cantonment are the other major surrounding landmarks.
- It is anticipated that once fully developed, Dwarka sub-city will have one of the best accessibility options with the mother city. These will include both rail based and road based accessibility.
- The sub city will be connected by metro rail with the city center and other major parts of the city by MRTS. The work on connection with Connaught Place / ITO under progress.
- The sub city will be connected to the mother city 4 major roads from all directions.
- Northern Approach – A 45 m wide road connecting Pankha road partly by covering Palam drain – work under progress.
- Western Approach – A 60 m wide road connecting Najafgarh road – road already constructed.
- Eastern Approach – A 45 m wide road through Cantonment area with a fly-over near Palam – work under progress likely to be completed in 3 years time.
- South Eastern Approach- A 60 m wide road from NH-8 (with a rail underpass) – work under progress.
Population & Area
- Population – 10 lakhs
- Total area – 5648 ha.
- Area (Phase – I) – 1964 ha.
- Area (Phase – II) – 1996 ha.
- Existing built up – 1688 ha.
- Dwarka project is planned with 29 sectors.
- The land use distribution of Dwarka follows a distinct hierarchical pattern from sub-city level to sector level. The landuse distribution is a under:
|Public / Semi-Public||
- The sub-city provides housing for about 2 lakhs families.
- Co-operative Group housing forms a major component of housing type in Dwarka.
- Special consideration has been given to the economically weaker sections of the society. A number of EWS, LIG and Resettlement housing schemes have been developed.
- Each of the residential sector has been envisaged to be self contained communities and has been designed for a population of about 30,000 each.
- Area of each sector is about 81 ha. (900 m x 900 m)
- Each sector is bounded on all sides by arterial roads of 45 m and 60 m.wide
- From arterial roads only 4 entries have been taken into the sector at a minimum distance of 450 m.
- A network of cycle tracks and pedestrian pathways has been proposed within each sector which link the housing clusters and their facilities within each sector.
- All sectors are proposed to have a mix of housing of various socio-economic groups.
- The commercial hub of the city will be developed along the proposed Metro Railway line (MRTS) in a linear form.
- The entire commercial spine is connected to different sectors of Dwarka by 60 m and 45 m roads, which are the major major bus routes.
- The location of the district center is of special significance, since this will be the major work and commercial center in Dwarka.
- The sub-city has been planned for an environment of convenience which contains essential facilities and services at different levels namely health, education, safety and security, cultural, and communication etc.
- The Landscape concept of Dwarka evolves a system of open spaces which have the potential to develop into a landscape with distinctive visual qualities, fulfilling the required ecological and recreational functions.
- The location and alignment of existing landscape features have been used to structure the development.
- Advantage has been taken of topographic assets such as the natural drainage as well as major city level open spaces along these corridors, integrating existing landscape and new development.
- Essentially the proposed landscape comprises of the following interlinked but hierarchical distinct components.
- The informal naturalistic component along Najafgarh drain, serving a regional recreation function.
- The more formal and organized component serving as a local space system on the East-west drainage corridors.
- The open space system within the sectors and neighbourhood.
ABOUT 20% OF DWARKA PROJECT AREA HAS BEEN PLANNED FOR DEVELOPMENT AS GREEN AREA.
- Metro based system will be the major mover of the people within core area.
- 9 Metro stations has been planned in the Dwarka sub-city.
- 7 Metro stations shall be commenced by the end of March,06.
- Bus based public transport system will also be the primary mode of transportation of the people in Dwarka.
- The basic road network has been planned both to supplement and compliment the metro based system.
- Cycle tracks and pedestrian pathways passing through green areas have been proposed.
- In order to cater to the various city level activities, adequate provision of various physical infrastructure facilities such as water supply, sewerage, drainage, solid waste management, telephone and power supply etc. have been planned and being provided.
Some Major Highlights
- Link to world class Metro service
- Liberal provision of open space and greenary.
- Sub City – Central Green (Bharat Vandana Park)
- Sports Complexes
- Metroplotan Passenger Terminal (ISBT, Directional Rail Terminal)
- Metro rail system from Barakhamba road, Connaught Place
- Integrated Freight Complex (IFC)
- Modern Health and Education Facilities
- Kargil Housing (Vijay Veer Awas Yojna)
- Defence, SPG & CRPF Complex
- Socio-Cultural Center & International Convention Centre
- Linear District Center
- Mixed Land Use
- Five Star Hotels
- Proposed Golf Course etc.